since when rrdtool tune can add another DS?

since when rrdtool tune can add another DS?

Petr
Hi all,

according to online documentation "rrdtool tune file.rrd DS:xxxxx:yyy:zzz:11:22" can add a new DS to an existing file.rrd. However, when I tried it on my Debian with rrdtool version 1.4.7 it did not work at all.

I read the whole https://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/CHANGES but couldn't find any mention about rrdtune being able to add or delete a DS in an existing RRD file.

Any idea since what version this got implemented, please?

Thanks,

Petr

Re: since when rrdtool tune can add another DS?

oetiker
Administrator
Hi Peter,

in the 1.5 series there is a much better solution for the whole
'modify rrd' problem ... create has the ability to pre-populate a
new rrd file based on an existing one ...

the stuff in rrd_tune is obviously a merge error, stuff being
documented before it was ever implemented.

cheers
tobi

www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902

Tobias Oetiker píše v Čt 15. 10. 2015 v 14:36 +0200:
> Hi Peter,
>
> in the 1.5 series there is a much better solution for the whole
> 'modify rrd' problem ... create has the ability to pre-populate a
> new rrd file based on an existing one ...

I've read about the new create ability but not about the new tune
ability.

> the stuff in rrd_tune is obviously a merge error, stuff being
> documented before it was ever implemented.

It doesn't need to be a merge error - the online documentation is for
the latest 1.5.4 so I know it is implemented in the 1.5.4. But I don't
know since when it is implemented and I need to choose which Debian OS
I'm going to install to get the desired functionality. Jessie, the
current stable, has RRD 1.4.8. Is it enough or do I need to backport RRD
from Stretch (testing) where is the 1.5.4?

It sounds like it's in the 1.5 series only but I wanted to be sure
before reinstalling the OS, you know :)

Thanks,

Petr

Re: since when rrdtool tune can add another DS?

oetiker
Administrator
hi petr

> On 15.10.2015, at 17:07, Petr Stehlik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tobias Oetiker píše v Čt 15. 10. 2015 v 14:36 +0200:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> in the 1.5 series there is a much better solution for the whole
>> 'modify rrd' problem ... create has the ability to pre-populate a
>> new rrd file based on an existing one ...
>
> I've read about the new create ability but not about the new tune
> ability.

there is no new tune ability in 1.5 as I said all this functionality was moved into create ...

and to get a current version of rrdtool just download the source and configure make install it. works fine.

cheers
tobi

Tobi Oetiker píše v Čt 15. 10. 2015 v 19:41 +0200:
> there is no new tune ability in 1.5 as I said all this functionality was moved into create ...

I see! So in order to add a new DS you have to create a whole new RRD?
That's a pity. Using the tune on a live RRD file would be way easier for
users.

BTW, even man page of rrd create still points to rrd tune regarding
adding a DS (indirectly).

> and to get a current version of rrdtool just download the source and configure make install it. works fine.

in Debian there are many RRD libraries in separate packages
( https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=wheezy&keywords=rrd ). They
all have to be upgraded as well, I believe. Plain configure make install
will not address that, I am afraid. I, for example, need to update the
php5-rrd (i.e. /usr/lib/php5/20100525/rrd.so).

Petr

Re: since when rrdtool tune can add another DS?

oetiker
Administrator
hi peter

> On 15.10.2015, at 20:33, Petr Stehlik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tobi Oetiker píše v Čt 15. 10. 2015 v 19:41 +0200:
>> there is no new tune ability in 1.5 as I said all this functionality was moved into create ...
>
> I see! So in order to add a new DS you have to create a whole new RRD?
> That's a pity. Using the tune on a live RRD file would be way easier for
> users.

adding a ds is a deep structural
change for an rrd file. so however it is done, a new file has to be created.

with the new create aproach you have the advantage of being able to do even more advanced changes like modifying the samplingrate and the like

> BTW, even man page of rrd create still points to rrd tune regarding
> adding a DS (indirectly).

if you are working through them, please do a pull request vs the 1.5 branch o  github, that would be great!

>> and to get a current version of rrdtool just download the source and configure make install it. works fine.
>
> in Debian there are many RRD libraries in separate packages
> ( https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=wheezy&keywords=rrd ). They
> all have to be upgraded as well, I believe. Plain configure make install
> will not address that, I am afraid. I, for example, need to update the
> php5-rrd (i.e. /usr/lib/php5/20100525/rrd.so).

you can install
rrdtool 1.5
in a separate location on your system, without hurting the existing setup. and use it in your project.

cheers
tobi