"rrdtool info" through network doesn't seem to work.

"rrdtool info" through network doesn't seem to work.

Yuya
Hello.

I'm using rrdcahced(version 1.4.4) to update rrd files in a remote host, and I'm facing the following.
Trying to check the timestamp when the target rrd file in a remote host was updated,
I used "rrdtool last", but it doesn't seem to work. and the same is true for "rrdtool info" and
"rrdtool lastupdate."

The procedure I went through and the environment were as follows;
(Assume that Host A and Host B are connected via network)

1. Run rrdcached on Host A
 rrdcached -l <ip-address>:<port> -w 120 -b /aaa/bbb -F

2. Create a rrd file named "xxx.rrd" in the directory that was specified by "-b" option above.

3. Execute "rrdtool last" with "--daemon" option on Host B
 rrdtool last --daemon <ip-address>:<port> xxx.rrd

Then, Error returned such as;
-1
ERROR: opening 'xxx.rrd': No such file or directory

And, when the absolute path is used to specify the target file instead of the relative path from the directory specified by "-b" option, following message returned.
-1
ERROR: absolute path names not allowed when talking to a remote daemon

As far as I read the Documentation (http://www.mrtg.org/rrdtool/doc/rrdlast.en.html),
I thing that "rrdtool last" with --daemon can be used, but is this only valid within a
same host? Or, if some other option is specified to execute "rrdtool last", does it work?

Regards,

Yuya

Re: "rrdtool info" through network doesn't seem to work.

S Shipway
The current stable version of RRDTool only supports 'update' via rrdcached; if you're using TCP-based rrdcached this means there's no fallback to direct, either - what the rrdtool client does is to fall back to using direct, which can work OK if you've got UNIX sockets and the files are local, but is not good with TCP sockets.

I've submitted some patches to Tobi to allow rrdcached to support 'last', 'first', and 'create' and 'info'.  If you download the development snapshot you should get these.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead