newbie CF query

John ORourke
I've been happily using MRTG for a while, but ended up writing a similar program myself to handle daily stats.

I needed to create various graphs of daily stats, and consolidate on day/week/month/year using average/max/min/total.

RRD looks fantastic, but I don't see 'total' mentioned as a CF in the docs...

For example, and ISP wanting to see 'total billed minutes for 1 week' could not use RRD.

Then, what if you deliberately wanted to lower the resolution of the graph - 'average daily temperature' could be done using 'rrdfetch' but not 'rrdgraph' unless you only wanted 1-pixel per day!

I know people always want programs to do things they were not designed to do, but am I missing anything obvious?

-
John O'Rourke 01254 611124
Backbone Engineer [hidden email]
Netline (UK) Ltd, The Globe Centre, Accrington, Lancs, BB5 0RE

Re: newbie CF query

Tobias Oetiker
Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] newbie CF query:

*> I've been happily using MRTG for a while, but ended up writing a similar
*> program myself to handle daily stats.
*>
*> I needed to create various graphs of daily stats, and consolidate on
*> day/week/month/year using average/max/min/total.
*>
*> RRD looks fantastic, but I don't see 'total' mentioned as a CF in the
*> docs...
*>
*> For example, and ISP wanting to see 'total billed minutes for 1 week'
*> could not use RRD.

simply build the average and multiply with time ...

*> Then, what if you deliberately wanted to lower the resolution of the
*> graph - 'average daily temperature' could be done using 'rrdfetch' but
*> not 'rrdgraph' unless you only wanted 1-pixel per day!

this is a feature pending for 1.1.x

*> I know people always want programs to do things they were not designed to
*> do, but am I missing anything obvious?

well partly :-)

cheers
tobi

--
 ______    __   _
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich

Re: newbie CF query

Alex van den Bogaerdt

> *> Then, what if you deliberately wanted to lower the resolution of the
> *> graph - 'average daily temperature' could be done using 'rrdfetch' but
> *> not 'rrdgraph' unless you only wanted 1-pixel per day!
>
> this is a feature pending for 1.1.x

Am I right in assuming that this would allow me to create a graph with
hourly averages, being more than 1 pixel wide ? I mean, have one day
visible and this is displayed as 24 bars ?

Alex

Re: newbie CF query

Tobias Oetiker
Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] Re: newbie CF query:

*> >
*> > *> Then, what if you deliberately wanted to lower the resolution of the
*> > *> graph - 'average daily temperature' could be done using 'rrdfetch' but
*> > *> not 'rrdgraph' unless you only wanted 1-pixel per day!
*> >
*> > this is a feature pending for 1.1.x
*> >
*>
*> Am I right in assuming that this would allow me to create a graph with
*> hourly averages, being more than 1 pixel wide ? I mean, have one day
*> visible and this is displayed as 24 bars ?

yes I guess so :-) ... given the data available allows for this resolution
to be built by combining several high resolution samples or by using the
apropriate rra ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*> Alex
*>

--
 ______    __   _
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286  FAX:...1517  ICQ: 10419518
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ [hidden email] http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker

Easy way to go from MRTG to RRDTool?

Gart Nixon
Hey gang,
        Most of you have probably never seen me before, which is good, I
get all my answers by lurking :)  But here's a question I have that I
didn't see in the archives or anywhere on the website.
        What's the best way to make RRDTool mimic what MRTG while gaining
the speed advantages of RRDTool?
        I followed the tutorial and understood it a bit, but I don't get
how to establish the same reading patterns as MRTG had.  ANy ideas?

TIA,
Gart