monthly display problem

jojoseb
Hi, I'm an intern and I have been working with rrdtool since 2 months.
I'm facing a little problem due to the fact that the step is fixed in rrd tool.
I want to create a graph showing monthly values, the problem is that I don't know what step I need to write in rrdtool graph, because months haven't all the same time (28,29,30,31 days...)
One solution I have found is to create 12 new rrd files doing the average of each month, create a new file with the new values and graph it.
Maybe you may have a better solution for me ?
sorry for my bad English... and thank you for you're help !
cheers, Joachim

Re: monthly display problem

Simon Hobson
jojoseb wrote:
>Hi, I'm an intern and I have been working with rrdtool since 2 months.
>I'm facing a little problem due to the fact that the step is fixed in rrd
>tool.
>I want to create a graph showing monthly values, the problem is that I don't
>know what step I need to write in rrdtool graph, because months haven't all
>the same time (28,29,30,31 days...)

Then you have the wrong tool for the job.

The best I could suggest is to consolidate data in 24 hour periods.
Then using an external script, extract the data for each month
individually (eg extract the data for midnight 1st July to midnight
1st August, and so on), and then graph those values with another
plotting tool.

That will allow you to continue using RRD to collect, normalise, and
consolidate the data - while using other tools to plot the graph you
want (RRD won't do that bit).

--
Simon Hobson

Visit http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/ for books by acclaimed

Re: monthly display problem

jojoseb
ok that's what I was thinking about, I will try youre solution, thank you for youre help Simon.
Bye, Joachim Sebbag