Reserved tokens in CDEF names

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Reserved tokens in CDEF names

Wiest, Damian
Greetings all.

I'm using Cacti to generate my charts and ran into an issue with it
generating a bad rrdtool command-line.  I'm not sure if the issue lies
with rrdtool not accepting a valid graph definition, or if Cacti is
doing something it shouldn't.

$ /usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
DEF:cf='/usr/share/cacti/rra/cpu.rrd':'cpu':AVERAGE \
CDEF:a='cf' \
LINE1:a#000FFF:'CPU0'

$ ERROR: don't understand 'cf'

Renaming the DEF and CDEF to something other than "cf" resolves the error.

Is this intentional?  "cf" would appear to be a valid vname based on
the rrdgraph_data document.

Thanks!

-Damian

--


Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential
or legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual
or entity named in the e-mail address. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify me by return e-mail, and destroy this
communication and all copies thereof, including any attachments.

Apervita ® is a registered trademark of Apervita Inc.

 

_______________________________________________
rrd-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.oetiker.ch/cgi-bin/listinfo/rrd-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reserved tokens in CDEF names

oetiker
Administrator
Hi Damian,

yes with he release of rrdtool 1.4 we switched to a new parser it
parses key=value primarily and cf in the DEF line stands for
consolidation function ... so you could write cf=AVERAGE

cheers
tobi

Today Wiest, Damian wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> I'm using Cacti to generate my charts and ran into an issue with it
> generating a bad rrdtool command-line.  I'm not sure if the issue lies
> with rrdtool not accepting a valid graph definition, or if Cacti is
> doing something it shouldn't.
>
> $ /usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
> DEF:cf='/usr/share/cacti/rra/cpu.rrd':'cpu':AVERAGE \
> CDEF:a='cf' \
> LINE1:a#000FFF:'CPU0'
>
> $ ERROR: don't understand 'cf'
>
> Renaming the DEF and CDEF to something other than "cf" resolves the error.
>
> Is this intentional?  "cf" would appear to be a valid vname based on
> the rrdgraph_data document.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Damian
>
>

--
Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902

_______________________________________________
rrd-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.oetiker.ch/cgi-bin/listinfo/rrd-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reserved tokens in CDEF names

oetiker
Administrator
on another note, we did make it more tollerant towards using keys as def names in a subsequent release, so it may be that you could get away with just upgrading to the latest release.

cheers
tobi

Tobias Oetiker
[hidden email]
062 775 9902

> On 27.04.2016, at 23:33, Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Damian,
>
> yes with he release of rrdtool 1.4 we switched to a new parser it
> parses key=value primarily and cf in the DEF line stands for
> consolidation function ... so you could write cf=AVERAGE
>
> cheers
> tobi
>
> Today Wiest, Damian wrote:
>
>> Greetings all.
>>
>> I'm using Cacti to generate my charts and ran into an issue with it
>> generating a bad rrdtool command-line.  I'm not sure if the issue lies
>> with rrdtool not accepting a valid graph definition, or if Cacti is
>> doing something it shouldn't.
>>
>> $ /usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
>> DEF:cf='/usr/share/cacti/rra/cpu.rrd':'cpu':AVERAGE \
>> CDEF:a='cf' \
>> LINE1:a#000FFF:'CPU0'
>>
>> $ ERROR: don't understand 'cf'
>>
>> Renaming the DEF and CDEF to something other than "cf" resolves the error.
>>
>> Is this intentional?  "cf" would appear to be a valid vname based on
>> the rrdgraph_data document.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Damian
>
> --
> Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
> www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902
>
> _______________________________________________
> rrd-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.oetiker.ch/cgi-bin/listinfo/rrd-users
>

_______________________________________________
rrd-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.oetiker.ch/cgi-bin/listinfo/rrd-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reserved tokens in CDEF names

Wiest, Damian
Thanks for the information Tobi.

I did first try upgrading to version 1.6.0, but still encountered the issue.
I have tracked the problem down in the Cacti scripts, so I'll
follow-up with them to get this corrected.

-Damian


On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Tobi Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> on another note, we did make it more tollerant towards using keys as def names in a subsequent release, so it may be that you could get away with just upgrading to the latest release.
>
> cheers
> tobi
>
> Tobias Oetiker
> [hidden email]
> 062 775 9902
>
>> On 27.04.2016, at 23:33, Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Damian,
>>
>> yes with he release of rrdtool 1.4 we switched to a new parser it
>> parses key=value primarily and cf in the DEF line stands for
>> consolidation function ... so you could write cf=AVERAGE
>>
>> cheers
>> tobi
>>
>> Today Wiest, Damian wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings all.
>>>
>>> I'm using Cacti to generate my charts and ran into an issue with it
>>> generating a bad rrdtool command-line.  I'm not sure if the issue lies
>>> with rrdtool not accepting a valid graph definition, or if Cacti is
>>> doing something it shouldn't.
>>>
>>> $ /usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
>>> DEF:cf='/usr/share/cacti/rra/cpu.rrd':'cpu':AVERAGE \
>>> CDEF:a='cf' \
>>> LINE1:a#000FFF:'CPU0'
>>>
>>> $ ERROR: don't understand 'cf'
>>>
>>> Renaming the DEF and CDEF to something other than "cf" resolves the error.
>>>
>>> Is this intentional?  "cf" would appear to be a valid vname based on
>>> the rrdgraph_data document.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> -Damian
>>
>> --
>> Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
>> www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> rrd-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.oetiker.ch/cgi-bin/listinfo/rrd-users
>>
>

--


Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential
or legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual
or entity named in the e-mail address. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify me by return e-mail, and destroy this
communication and all copies thereof, including any attachments.

Apervita ® is a registered trademark of Apervita Inc.

 

_______________________________________________
rrd-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.oetiker.ch/cgi-bin/listinfo/rrd-users