GD no longer available, what does this mean for MRTG and rrdtool?

GD no longer available, what does this mean for MRTG and rrdtool?

Jim Johnson-5
I was going to download MRTG today, when I went to
http://www.boutell.com/gd/ to get the required GD files.  This web site,
however, reports that "The gd library has been removed from circulation."
What does this mean for MRTG and rrdtool?

Re: [mrtg] GD no longer available, what does this mean for MRTG and rrdtool?

Tobi Oetiker
Today you sent me mail regarding [mrtg] GD no longer available, what does...:

*> I was going to download MRTG today, when I went to
*> http://www.boutell.com/gd/ to get the required GD files.  This web site,
*> however, reports that "The gd library has been removed from circulation."
*> What does this mean for MRTG and rrdtool?

it means two things:

a) you have to use ftpsearch.lycos.com to find gd-1.3.tar.gz

b) I am looking for a library with equivalend features but png output ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*> --
*> * To unsubscribe from the mrtg mailing list, send a message with the
*>   subject: unsubscribe to [hidden email]
*> * The mailing list archive is at http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg
*>

--
 ______    __   _
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, hacking RRDTOOL&MRTG @  Caida for the Summer

Will there be a front-end for rrdtool that uses MRTG cfg files?

Jim Johnson-5
I'm thinking about switching from MRTG to rrdtool, but the problem is that I
have invested a fair amount of time developing some JavaScript and html to
present the MRTG graphs in a easy to display manner and I don't want to
start over from scratch (yet).  What would be perfect for me is if there was
a front end for rrdtool which created graphs and web pages identical to
MRTG's, using MRTG's config files, so that I could slowly migrate over to
rrdtool.  Eventually I'll probably switch to cricket (I've just started
looking at this), but in the short term a MRTG config front end would be
cool.

Re: Will there be a front-end for rrdtool that uses MRTG cfg files?

Jeff Allen
Jim Johnson wrote:
> start over from scratch (yet).  What would be perfect for me is if there was
> a front end for rrdtool which created graphs and web pages identical to
> MRTG's, using MRTG's config files, so that I could slowly migrate over to

I respect your need for this tool. I just can't make it. Cricket was
created in some ways completely separately from MRTG, and they simply
aren't really very much the same, so Cricket isn't the right direction
to help you.

I'm sorry I don't have a better upgrade path for you. Cricket's
"market" is not really MRTG users. It's former users of MRTG who have
to manage so many things that they cannot use MRTG to do so, and are
thus motivated to throw away everything and use Cricket. I dind't mean
to make it this way... it just happened. :)

If you come up with things to make it easier to make the transition
towards rrdtool (via Cricket or not...), please share them, either by
sending notes to the list, or by submitting them to the Cricket
contrib site.

--
Jeff R. Allen              |  [hidden email]
WebTV Service Engineering  |  http://www.munitions.com/~jra