Counter Overflow

Walter Onda

Hello

We have a system that the overflow happen at nearly 2.1 GB, with RRD we always have a peak into the graph.

Is there a way to overwrite the overflow from RRD to fetch another bit number and not at 32 or 64 bit?

Kind regards

Walter

Re: Counter Overflow

Patrick Best

Hi Walter;

I believe there is no such option.  It would be a good feature request though.   Also, another request that would be similar would be for the ability to wrap on a time-basis, ie., hourly.  In the meantime,

You have 2 alternatives to deal with the situation:

1) Modify the rrd datasource to have a max-limit imposed, so that any value over XXXXX will result in NaN,

Example of removing the maximum, however, the principle is the same:

root@cacti2:/usr/share/cacti/rra# rrdtool info onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd

filename = "onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd"

rrd_version = "0003"

step = 300

last_update = 1339789212

header_size = 2040

ds[mem_buffers].index = 0

ds[mem_buffers].type = "GAUGE"

ds[mem_buffers].minimal_heartbeat = 600

ds[mem_buffers].min = 0.0000000000e+00

ds[mem_buffers].max = 1.0000000000e+07

ds[mem_buffers].last_ds = "25144"

ds[mem_buffers].value = 3.0172800000e+05

ds[mem_buffers].unknown_sec = 0

root@cacti2:/usr/share/cacti/rra# rrdtool tune onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd --maximum mem_buffers:U

root@cacti2:/usr/share/cacti/rra# rrdtool info onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd

filename = "onhood-srvr-32-logeng01_linux_mem_buffers_20059.rrd"

rrd_version = "0003"

step = 300

last_update = 1339789212

header_size = 2040

ds[mem_buffers].index = 0

ds[mem_buffers].type = "GAUGE"

ds[mem_buffers].minimal_heartbeat = 600

ds[mem_buffers].min = 0.0000000000e+00

ds[mem_buffers].max = NaN

ds[mem_buffers].last_ds = "25144"

ds[mem_buffers].value = 3.0172800000e+05

ds[mem_buffers].unknown_sec = 0

Or,

2) Create a CDEF to ignore values above XXXXX and instead graph the last-known-good.

cdef=CURRENT_DATA_SOURCE,50000,GT,PREV,CURRENT_DATA_SOURCE,IF

Patrick Best

Sr. Systems Analyst

Network Support and Operations (NSO)

TELUS

650 Hood Road

Markham, Ont

L3R 4S7

Email:  [hidden email]

Office:  905-305-5138

Mobile: 416-684-3579

This email, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the inteded recipient and may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by reply email or by telephone (collect, if necessary) and destroy this email and any copies.  Thank you.

Have a great day!

Re: Counter Overflow

oetiker
Administrator

Monday Patrick Best wrote:

> Hi Walter;
>
> I believe there is no such option.  It would be a good feature
> request though.  Also, another request that would be similar
> would be for the ability to wrap on a time-basis, ie., hourly.
> In the meantime,

If your counters do NOT wrap at 32 or 64 bit, I would suggest to
use DERIVE instead of CONTER and set a minimal value of 0, then you
will just loose one update (it gets replaced by NAN) whenever your
counters wrap.

hth
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900