Beginner question: "rrdtool.exe graph" started from windows shell does not produce any graph nor error message

Beginner question: "rrdtool.exe graph" started from windows shell does not produce any graph nor error message

Petr Lázňovský
Trying to run rrdtool for first time after few years of life with mrtg. Trying to run it from cmd line first, to eliminate possible IIS/CGI problems at the very beginning. From same reason tying to limit parameters to only mandatory ones. My full command is:

C:\rrdtool.exe graph graph.png --start=-86400 --end=-300 DEF:traffic=file.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE

No graph is produced nor error message is produced, errorlevel is 0, file.rrd was created by mrtg.

Is with rrdtool something like '--debug=' in mrtg? Which rrdtool parameters are mandatory?

RRDtool 1.4.5, got from this page https://sites.google.com/site/christiankrausse/projekte/perl/rrds-perl-windows-v

thanks for any hints, Petr Laznovsky

c:\rrdtool info file.rrd
filename = "file.rrd"
rrd_version = "0003"
step = 300
last_update = 1389088254
header_size = 2800
ds[ds0].index = 0
ds[ds0].type = "GAUGE"
ds[ds0].minimal_heartbeat = 600
ds[ds0].min = 0,0000000000e+000
ds[ds0].max = 1,0100000000e+002
ds[ds0].last_ds = "0"
ds[ds0].value = 0,0000000000e+000
ds[ds0].unknown_sec = 0
ds[ds1].index = 1
ds[ds1].type = "GAUGE"
ds[ds1].minimal_heartbeat = 600
ds[ds1].min = 0,0000000000e+000
ds[ds1].max = 1,0100000000e+002
ds[ds1].last_ds = "0"
ds[ds1].value = 0,0000000000e+000
ds[ds1].unknown_sec = 0
rra[0].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[0].rows = 800
rra[0].cur_row = 648
rra[0].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[0].xff = 5,0000000000e-001
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[0].cdp_prep[1].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[1].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[1].rows = 800
rra[1].cur_row = 581
rra[1].pdp_per_row = 6
rra[1].xff = 5,0000000000e-001
rra[1].cdp_prep[0].value = 0,0000000000e+000
rra[1].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[1].cdp_prep[1].value = 0,0000000000e+000
rra[1].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[2].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[2].rows = 800
rra[2].cur_row = 613
rra[2].pdp_per_row = 24
rra[2].xff = 5,0000000000e-001
rra[2].cdp_prep[0].value = 0,0000000000e+000
rra[2].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[2].cdp_prep[1].value = 0,0000000000e+000
rra[2].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[3].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[3].rows = 800
rra[3].cur_row = 674
rra[3].pdp_per_row = 288
rra[3].xff = 5,0000000000e-001
rra[3].cdp_prep[0].value = 7,0100000000e+001
rra[3].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[3].cdp_prep[1].value = 7,0100000000e+001
rra[3].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[4].cf = "MAX"
rra[4].rows = 800
rra[4].cur_row = 489
rra[4].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[4].xff = 5,0000000000e-001
rra[4].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[4].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[4].cdp_prep[1].value = NaN
rra[4].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[5].cf = "MAX"
rra[5].rows = 800
rra[5].cur_row = 485
rra[5].pdp_per_row = 6
rra[5].xff = 5,0000000000e-001
rra[5].cdp_prep[0].value = 0,0000000000e+000
rra[5].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[5].cdp_prep[1].value = 0,0000000000e+000
rra[5].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[6].cf = "MAX"
rra[6].rows = 800
rra[6].cur_row = 218
rra[6].pdp_per_row = 24
rra[6].xff = 5,0000000000e-001
rra[6].cdp_prep[0].value = 0,0000000000e+000
rra[6].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[6].cdp_prep[1].value = 0,0000000000e+000
rra[6].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[7].cf = "MAX"
rra[7].rows = 800
rra[7].cur_row = 358
rra[7].pdp_per_row = 288
rra[7].xff = 5,0000000000e-001
rra[7].cdp_prep[0].value = 1,6666666667e+001
rra[7].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[7].cdp_prep[1].value = 1,6666666667e+001
rra[7].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0

Re: Beginner question: "rrdtool.exe graph" started from windows shell does not produce any graph nor error message

Alex van den Bogaerdt-5
> Trying to run rrdtool for first time after few years of life with mrtg.
Trying to run it from cmd line first, to eliminate possible IIS/CGI
problems at the very beginning. From same reason tying to limit
parameters
> to only mandatory ones. My full command is:
> C:\rrdtool.exe graph graph.png --start=-86400 --end=-300
> DEF:traffic=file.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE

Which has no graph command, so nothing is graphed (as expected).
Please read the manual, or follow the tutorial.  Both can be found on
oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool

HTH
Alex

Re: Beginner question: "rrdtool.exe graph" started from windows shell does not produce any graph nor error message

Petr Lázňovský
I have read both manual and tutorial again and discovered missed parameter "LINE1:traffic#xxxxxx"

It`s pitty the author hide this important sentence at the very end of document: "You need at least one DEF and one LINE, AREA, GPRINT, PRINT statement to generate anything useful"

Should I consider those parameters as a mandatory minimum? Without AREA,GPRINT and PRINT, still got valid graph. Can someone explain me this?

L.

>> Trying to run rrdtool for first time after few years of life with mrtg.
> Trying to run it from cmd line first, to eliminate possible IIS/CGI
> problems at the very beginning. From same reason tying to limit
> parameters
>> to only mandatory ones. My full command is:
>> C:\rrdtool.exe graph graph.png --start=-86400 --end=-300
>> DEF:traffic=file.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE

> Which has no graph command, so nothing is graphed (as expected).
> Please read the manual, or follow the tutorial.  Both can be found on
> oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool

> HTH
> Alex

Re: Beginner question: "rrdtool.exe graph" started from windows shell does not produce any graph nor error message

Alex van den Bogaerdt-5
> I have read both manual and tutorial again and discovered missed parameter
> "LINE1:traffic#xxxxxx"
>
> It`s pitty the author hide this important sentence at the very end of
> document: "You need at least one DEF and one LINE, AREA, GPRINT, PRINT
> statement to generate anything useful"
>
> Should I consider those parameters as a mandatory minimum? Without
> AREA,GPRINT and PRINT, still got valid graph. Can someone explain me this?

There is no such thing as a mandatory line or a mandatory area. And if you do
not want a legend line from GPRINT then that too is just fine.  If you do
not ask RRDtool to produce any output, it will not produce output. It did
exactly what you asked it to do, so there's no error either.

It's perfectly fine to just draw a line without any legend. You'd need a DEF
and a LINE.  Also fine is a legend without a line; you'd need a DEF and a
GPRINT command.  Whether or not that's useful, is your decision.

It's perfectly fine to just have a DEF and a PRINT.  No graph created, there
will be only a number returned to the calling process.  Again, that is not an
error condition, it is what you ask RRDtool to do.

If you did not yet 'get it' yet, maybe you paced through the tutorial too
fast.

Summarized:
get data:  DEF
massage data:  CDEF
output data: LINE, AREA, PRINT, GPRINT.  Choose zero or more.

and you should look at XPORT, which is not covered in the tutorial because
the tutorial was written in the v1.0 era of rrdtool and XPORT came later.

HTH,
"the author"

Re: Beginner question: "rrdtool.exe graph" started from windows shell does not produce any graph nor error message

Petr Lázňovský
Got it now, after studying documents again. Controlling rrdtool is more 'programming conditions' rather than 'run utility with a command and modify it`s behaviour by some non-mandatory parameters'. Something like difference between 'cut' and 'awk' utility for example.

For non-programming people like me, this could be crucial information and should be written on the top of page with bold font. I spent(waste) many hours with google to try understanding how this work.

But how many non-programming people dealing with rrdtool..... Maybe you are right....

Anyway, thank you for help and comment.

P.L.

BTW: I read in many documents (often more than 10 years old) so MRTG3 will be merged with rrdtool, is it still actual information?

>> I have read both manual and tutorial again and discovered missed parameter
>> "LINE1:traffic#xxxxxx"

>> It`s pitty the author hide this important sentence at the very end of
>> document: "You need at least one DEF and one LINE, AREA, GPRINT, PRINT
>> statement to generate anything useful"

>> Should I consider those parameters as a mandatory minimum? Without
>> AREA,GPRINT and PRINT, still got valid graph. Can someone explain me this?

> There is no such thing as a mandatory line or a mandatory area. And if you do
> not want a legend line from GPRINT then that too is just fine.  If you do
> not ask RRDtool to produce any output, it will not produce output. It did
> exactly what you asked it to do, so there's no error either.

> It's perfectly fine to just draw a line without any legend. You'd need a DEF
> and a LINE.  Also fine is a legend without a line; you'd need a DEF and a
> GPRINT command.  Whether or not that's useful, is your decision.

> It's perfectly fine to just have a DEF and a PRINT.  No graph created, there
> will be only a number returned to the calling process.  Again, that is not an
> error condition, it is what you ask RRDtool to do.

> If you did not yet 'get it' yet, maybe you paced through the tutorial too
> fast.

> Summarized:
> get data:  DEF
> massage data:  CDEF
> output data: LINE, AREA, PRINT, GPRINT.  Choose zero or more.

> and you should look at XPORT, which is not covered in the tutorial because
> the tutorial was written in the v1.0 era of rrdtool and XPORT came later.

> HTH,
> "the author"

Re: Beginner question: "rrdtool.exe graph" started from windows shell does not produce any graph nor error message

oetiker
Administrator
Hi Petr,

Today Petr Láz?ovský wrote:

> Got it now, after studying documents again. Controlling rrdtool
> is more 'programming conditions' rather than 'run utility with a
> command and modify it`s behaviour by some non-mandatory
> parameters'.  Something like difference between 'cut' and 'awk'
> utility for example.
>
> For non-programming people like me, this could be crucial
> information and should be written on the top of page with bold
> font.  I spent(waste) many hours with google to try understanding
> how this work.
>
> But how many non-programming people dealing with rrdtool.....
> Maybe you are right....
>
> Anyway, thank you for help and comment.
>
> P.L.
>
> BTW: I read in many documents (often more than 10 years old) so
> MRTG3 will be merged with rrdtool, is it still actual
> information?
yes, except that there is no mrtg3 :-) and probably never will be

there is a chance that smokeping3 will be able to take the place
of mrtg3 ...

in any event, windows will not be a good platform for running it

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900